Sunday, April 12, 2009

Question of the Day (Easter)

A gift of the Easter squirrel?
How do you dye a brown egg?

I was going to leave it at that, but then again, it’s a day for hunting, in this case for answers.

I grew up with white eggs, and I assumed they were easier to dye, but who knew? In fact, I realized I didn’t even know the difference between white and brown eggs.

It turns out there is no difference. White eggs come from white chickens. Brown eggs come from brown ones. According to my Internet sources, the nutritional content is the same.

I was under the impression that brown eggs were healthier. I have just realized that, as part of my belated embrace of whole grains, I have adopted the view that all brown foods are healthier.

In this, as Michael Pollan might point out, I am probably no less a victim of quasi-informed (or desperately hopeful) food faddism than the countless people who decided that all fats were bad or anything with added vitamins must be good.

Guess what? It seems you can dye the brown ones nicely, too, if you’re willing to forgo the pastel tones. You might get something richer, with kind of “a vintage look.”

1 comment:

Gerry Gomez Pearlberg said...

Great post. LOVE those vintage-style eggs. Interesting, mature tones....